Surprises of the South: Hindang Caves, Wild Monkeys, and ZIPLINE!

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Map of Leyte
Goin' South?
It's Road Trip Monday and we are headed to Southern Leyte. It's been more than a year since we've taken a trip anywhere else in Leyte (outside Ormoc City that is) and I must admit I've never been to some places especially on the eastern side of the island. Nevertheless, our journey this time took us to a place called Hindang. We've passed by it on our way to Padre Burgos way back in 2007 for a super cheap (think P350!) summer getaway.

En route to our destination, we stopped by VSU (Visayas State University) where you can find huge statues of Filipino mythical characters Malakas and Maganda. I've taken a lot of pics of this place over the years, from field trips and excursions with visitors and guests. We went around the old dormitories that screamed of "Noli Me Tangere" and "El Filibusterismo". It was there that a student yelled at Noodle Boy, "Hey, American!" when we passed by. We laughed our heads off. American, huh? Whatever happened to, "HEY, JOE!"?

Then we had lunch at Baybay City where we found out that the Boulevard where several of all these really good BAR-B-Q stations were located is GONE! And I mean, *POOF!* No more. So we had to ask around where we can get some BBQs and were led to a place just adjacent to the pier where it was before. Apparently, they just transferred to the new location 2 months ago in May. It was a good thing that it was the same management who run the place so the food tasted exactly the same. I especially love their kinilaw and chicken BBQ.

Pic of me at the old location by the pier back in 2007.
 The place is actually named J&E Bar-B-Q Haus, whereas before we just simply referred to it as the "FIRST STATION" in reference to it occupying the first "stall" in a line of many BBQ houses. It lost its appeal if you ask me since you're no longer literally on top of the water anymore (like in one of those houses on stilts) because now it looks like a proper restaurant. Perhaps because of sanitation reasons, they relocated or something. But I don't know. I was too hungry to ask anyone there why.

Newly opened J&E bar-B-Q Haus
We drove to Brgy. San Vicente in Hindang for another couple of minutes and found the sign to the Hindang Caves easily.

Hindang Caves
The road up is pretty narrow and I can't really grasp how two vehicles could fit in it.
We headed straight up and it almost felt like we were driving in a scary movie film ala Blairwitch Project with all the woods and forest feel. Honestly, I didn't expect to be climbing up a mountain on foot in the first place so I wore my FitFlops! Had I known, I would have worn rubber shoes or something.

Hindang Caves

Hindang Caves in Leyte


How much is the Entrance fee to Hindang Caves
Minimal Fee for Entrance to Hindang Caves

Again, I really did not expect climbing up steps to the Hindang Caves but since they were ingenuously designed to provide traction, my FitFlops were still pretty comfortable to wear. I brought a bottle of mineral water as I already anticipated getting short of breath a lot during this whole adventure.

Innumerable steps I tell you! Just countless... So yeah!
Seriously I was in no shape at all to be walking so much so we had to take rest breaks every 10-15 steps. HAHAHA! Good thing they had seats to let you catch your breath once in a while.


And now the Hindang Caves. Take note it's plural. CAVES. With an s. I can't stress it enough. There's just too many to mention so here are some of the ones we got to check out.



Oh, look! It's covered in BAT SHIT! :P



Oh wait, I almost forgot to mention the bats... oh, the beautiful baby bats! And the mosquitoes... and all those other insects that bit me. LOL! I should have brought some OFF lotion but hey, this was a road trip that was indeed full of surprises! Next time though, insect repellent will be on my list. Okay, moving on with the glorious caves of wonder...



I think we found the BAT CAVE! :)
Aside from bats and monkeys, we found a BAYAWAK! Okay, that's HAW/HAO in our vernacular. I think it's called a monitor lizard officially. We weren't able to take a pic as it was a wild one and even if it was the edible sort, we had the sane mind to avoid being bitten instead by a carnivorous animal. And oh yeah, we found a cobra (snake), too! But the guys already killed it so it was no threat anymore.

Small but deadly Philippine cobra.
Breathtaking view of Hindang, Leyte.
Hindang Zipline in Southern Leyte

A couple more steps up and we arrive at our ultimate doom destination. I could barely see the landing site as it was 600 meters in distance. They said it would take about 40 seconds to get to the other side. My mathematically-challenged brain was trying to distract my fear by trying to compute the average speed I'll be traveling when I do the zipline. Umm, so 15 meters per second? My head was spinning already.

View from the other end of the zipline.
Noodle Boy went first (according to age!) and because he had the camera so he could take pictures of us when we get to the other end. A moment later, I was shouting my Facebook password in case anything happens to me and told them to update my status. LOL!

Hindang Zipline in Southern Leyte
YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE!!!!!
YOLO!!!!!!!!! I did it!!! It was the best 40 seconds of my life. I had no idea I would be doing this until I got there at the top (thanks to peer pressure!) and the adrenalin rush was ahhhmaaaaaaaaahhzzziiiinnnnggg! The scenery was even more beautiful going down the zipline with the wind in my face and my adrenalin pumping!

☑ Do the zipline before turning 30 years old! ✔ DONE and DONE! 

The Hindang Zipline is probably the most affordable one I know at only PHP180!!! I heard ziplines can go as high as 500 bucks. Well, this was nothing short of a cheap thrill if you ask me. I had a major major blast!!! So how about you guys? What are your zipline experiences?



P.S. Our road trip to Hindang, Leyte was made possible big thanks to Viaje International.


Travel


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Flickr Images