Blonde Ambition #5: Bleached Blonde to Mermaid Hair

Friday, May 13, 2016

It feels like only yesterday when I started experimenting with bleach and embarked on my Blonde Ambition journey, but it has been almost 3 years since and I've never looked back. People ask all the time how I do it and how I survive all the damage to my hair... what with all the bleaching and coloring. I'm gonna tell you how.


First of all, I don't get it done professionally, so I save up on costs. It's imperative to do your own research if you want to go the DIY route. I buy my own bleach powder (in tubs) and do all the processing at home. Honestly, I ask for help from people at home with the application because I don't have eyes at the back of my head and thank goodness they're more than willing to help me out in my hair projects.

Another thing I would like to point out (and this comes from experience!), do not ever try to bleach your hair consecutively. You're already killing it the first time, so you have to give it some time to rest like I said in my last Blonde Ambition post regarding how I bleach my hair. Previously I used to think having slow-growing hair was a curse, but now I count it as a blessing because my roots don't show up for some time, meaning it takes a while to warrant any touch-ups. So yay!

Again let's review... So usually after bleaching your hair, you get to a level 6, 7 or 8 depending on your hair color. You will be tempted to bleach it 1-3 more times to get to a 10. DON'T DO IT! I repeat, DON'T DO IT! Bleaching it again right away will damage your hair significantly. And I mean you'll get broken strands, itchy scalp, super dry hair... it's going to be a nightmare! So you need to wait at least 2 weeks to bleach it again in my opinion... and maybe do a 9% instead of a 12% developer. But then again, I'm no expert, just a hair color enthusiast. You can take my word for it... or not.

BUT WAIT... THERE'S A SHORTCUT!

If you can't wait to get to a 10... then by all means, go ahead and try to tone your hair!

Bleached Hair vs Toned Hair
How to do that? It's simple... just use a purple shampoo or a DIY hair toner. What I love about making my own is that I can treat my hair with KERATIN at the same time. It is very important to do so after bleaching. And I mean, it's a MUST!!! Now I'd like to share my most recent bleaching and toning experiment.

Available at Pretty Angel Shoppe
I used the CELLOshine Henna Wax Color as a treatment for my bleached hair then mixed with the purple semi-permanent color to create my own hair toner. Just like this:

Home made purple hair toner shampoo DIY
Home-made purple hair toner
Apply this to newly bleached hair to tone down the brassiness (that yucky orange color!). Leave it there for a good while. How long? I don't know. I just leave it on 'til it hardens on my head. LOL! It's up to you really.

Do-It-Yourself Hair Toner by MyMaria
It's that easy!

But if you're like me and blonde doesn't excite you as much anymore, then it's time to level up to GREEN hair! With level 10 hair, you can even use food coloring and it works... for a day or two. But I want something more semi-permanent that would last a week or more. So onto the next step...

Available at Funky Streaks
So maybe it's not green-green but I wasn't planning on becoming Joker. I was aiming for a more mermaid-ish color and Manic Panic recently came out with this new refreshing minty green shade called Sea Nymph that was just perfect for what I wanted to achieve. So yeah... what do you think?

manic panic sea nymph review


Photos above were taken indoors. And here is how it looks under natural light.


When sporting colored hair, I find that shampooing hair will allow the color to fade quicker so instead, I use the Keratin Hair Reconstructor One-Minute Treatment for Sensitized Hair which I got from Pretty Angel Shoppe at every wash to keep it smooth and healthy. Only when my hair is super flat and sticky, then I would wash it with Pantene Pro-V Aqua Light Clean Rinse Shampoo followed by the CELLOshine Henna Wax reconstructive treatment.


After a week of vacationing with sun, sand, and saltwater, I wanted to turn my mermaid hair project up a notch. And so it's time to cool down with a nice BLUE shade, hence, my favorite Manic Panic Atomic Turquoise came to the rescue!

manic panic atomic turquoise review

The outdoor photo in natural lighting (above) vs the photo taken indoors (below) seem to look the same and not much of a difference in color. What do you think?

manic panic atomic turquoise review

What about you? Are you planning on changing hair colors for the summer or have you done so already? If you have (or haven't yet), don't forget that using Keratin and other reconstructive treatments for the hair is VERY IMPORTANT... or you'll end up with dry and damaged hair. There are many affordable products out in the market that you can buy and use at home. You don't even have to go to the parlor to maintain a healthy, shiny... and beautiful colored hair!



TWITTERFACEBOOKINSTAGRAMPINTERESTYOUTUBEBLOGEMAIL 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your comments, suggestions, and violent reactions! I will do my best to reply to you as soon as I can. :)

Instagram

Flickr Images