Time to shine: Becoming a Beauty Blogger.

Wednesday, January 29, 2014

When I decided to try becoming a "beauty blogger" in the Summer of 2013, I was a bit apprehensive considering I just turned 30 and most gurus (the popular ones) who I've been following are younger than I am. Why now? Honestly, way before I learned that a highlighter is not just a neon green Stabilo Boss or a hot pink Faber-Castell pen, there were but a few things I bothered buying back then and have always been a staple in my kikay kit -- an eyebrow pencil, a kohl eye liner, a tube of mascara, and a pressed powder. I hardly ever wore lipstick or lip gloss before! I did own a couple of other makeup items such as a foundation that did not match my skintone, a blush that was too pink, and eyeshadows that I didn't know how to use. I didn't even own a single brush! I SWEAR, CROSS MY HEART, AND HOPE TO DIE! Let's just say 75% of my makeup stash were all presents and pasalubongs from friends and relatives from the US. (Who can relate? Raise your hands!) So yeah, I figured I might as well learn to use these things especially now that I'm older and besides, I'm already a mom!



Remember that old TVC for Flintstones vitamins where a younger sister asked her big sister, "Why are you wearing mommy's lipstick?" "BECAUSE..." I think that got into my subconscious since and for me, wearing lipstick is only acceptable when you have kids (to show that you are the mother). IKR!? But yes, I am serious. That was what I thought and besides none of my buddies were makeup junkies. We only wore makeup during special events and weddings. There wasn't any peer pressure to look like a million bucks. After all, the provincial life doesn't demand it.


It also was a major plus factor that during my adolescence/twenteens my battle for acne and my crazy hormones was controlled with medications as well as following a strict skincare routine. But when I got pregnant and laid off of all my beauty supplements and treatments, I got the worse of it and until now I'm still desperately trying to overcome this skin problem. (Maybe I ought to go back to using the Local Obagi now?) So then I figured since I couldn't do what I did before, maybe I could learn the art of maquillage to help me with my ongoing dilemma. And so my beauty journey began.


It all started with the search for the perfect concealer which, to make the long story short, ended with my discovery of NATURACTOR. Months later, I can still say it is the ultimate concealer for me and that I cannot live without it anymore. Say what you want, but I have regained my confidence because of this product and I am not even paid to advertise it! Seriously, believe the hype. I'm here to prove it.

And then I discovered contouring, which made all the difference! My gosh! If I knew how to contour I wouldn't have been so depressed while I was trying to lose my post partum weight. With the correct application of bronzer or (in my case, most of the time) a dark powder foundation, any angle of a #selfie can be perfect! Goodbye chubby cheeks and high forehead, I can disguise you now. KTHXBYE.


The best part about learning makeup tricks is also the boost of self-esteem that I garnered. Because truth be told, I am fairly insecure with my looks even though my husband just rolls his eyes every time I act so dramatic about it and reminds (assures?) me it's not the reason he married me. LOL! Yeah, I am shallow sometimes. Aren't we all? I mean, anybody who's going through PMS know that feeling all too well.


And then I got addicted, well, let's just say super enthusiastic about makeup, largely in part because le husband Noodle Boy bought me a vanity kit with mirror and lights and now I have a makeup station whereas before I simply sat on the floor perfecting that winged liner.

My current makeup station. It's super messy though it's not much, but it's a work in progress.
Right now I'm getting requests from people who want me to do their makeup. Whoa! And I'm not even a pro! Seriously, I'm so amateur at this and such a n00b that when I attended the Avon workshop, I felt absolutely small (and literally, too!). The ladies of the Avon Makeup Council are way beyond my league! They were all so beautiful that I had to stop myself from staring at them. But passionate as I am with everything that I do, instead of retreating inside my shell, I realized then and there what I needed to do. I wanted to get better at this. I was driven to become the best that I can be and so I continued to learn and teach myself all about makeup by scouring the interwebs at dawn and watching countless YouTube tutorials... even contemplating about creating a makeup channel myself... or not.


Anyways, time flies when you're having fun and when I look back at my old photos on Instagram, I can very well criticize myself and I'm glad to see the improvements I've made. So you see, posting shameless #selfies does have a purpose. I have kept track of my skills and found out where I need to work more on. I'm not becoming a beauty blogger just to promote products. I would continue to rave (or rant) about something especially when it has significantly impacted my life -- a product or an event, it doesn't matter. I am also excited to try new products because for the past 3 decades I've always stuck to popular and trusted brands, not considering what is actually appropriate for my skin type, etc. Armed with an open mind and a fresh new outlook, now I choose to be a beauty blogger because I'd like to show you guys, especially the people who know where I'm coming from (acne, oily and problematic skin), that there is something we can do to primp and prettify... and with practice, become drop dead gorgeous bombshells, too! Plus who needs to learn Photoshop or edit pics when you can transform yourself with makeup instantly?! Tee hee.


So now I'm thinking I'm actually not too old to become a beauty blogger. I mean, I don't care if I'm Jurassic compared to these young ones. This is the right age for me to wear makeup. I once tried asking my mom to buy me a Revlon lipstick back in college, the slim one with the elegant gold tone casing which I reckon was MoistureStay™ or I'm not sure what it was called back then and it had this minty taste which was very cool on the lips (I don't know for the life of me why I even tasted it!), but it was pretty costly at more than PHP500 in Metro Ayala. (Take note this was back in 1999. That absurd amount was worth my one week's allowance!) Of course, she refused and told me it was not appropriate and I need to learn the value of money. Meaning, I was still a student and it was too expensive! Also she stated that when I earn my own money, then I can very well buy whatever I want. And she was absolutely right! I may have sulked a bit back then but I never hated her for denying my request. Cue in the Flintstones commercial which played incessantly in my head.


If I am ever going to have a daughter, I'll probably tell her the exact same thing and that there is a right age to wear makeup. Please don't misunderstand because I'm not saying these younger (more nubile, vibrant, and spirited) beauty bloggers out there are doing it wrong. In fact, they are indeed very knowledgeable about beauty and the current trends. Suum cuique. To each his/her own. If you can afford makeup and need/want it, regardless of age, by all means... WEAR IT! Makeup really is an art and a wonderful way to express yourself. As for myself, I'm not quite the artist yet, but I'd just like to say... BECAUSE.... It's about time.



Journey into the world of beauty with me! Thanks for reading and please come back for more blog posts, beauty reviews and giveaways!


Don't forget to follow me on IG@bastaigat_sikat to find out about what products I use and currently loving. :) Ciao!


TWITTER ★ http://twitter.com/bastaigat_sikat
FACEBOOK ★ http://facebook.com/bastaigatsikat
INSTAGRAM ★ http://instagram.com/bastaigat_sikat
PINTEREST ★ http://pinterest.com/mrsnoodleboy
BLOGS ★ http://www.bastaigatsikat.comhttp://www.mrsnoodleboy.com


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Flickr Images