Defending the #Selfie and How To Take The Perfect Selfie

Thursday, April 10, 2014


If taking pictures of oneself is linked to a mental illness then what does that make me? I've been doing this for more than 10 years, before selfies even became mainstream. We didn't call it a "SELFIE" back then. We had a more intense term for it and most of my friends basically know it as "CAMWHORING". Or when talking formally, we'd refer to it as "SELF-PORTRAIT". Yup, it began way before the days of Friendster, MySpace, and Multiply.

10-year old Selfies from 2004. :P
To tell you the truth, even before I had my first digital camera in 2001, I already took selfies and camwhored a lot. Was I crazy? You tell me. But I had so much free effing time on my hands. Guess I was just bored. Using my analog camera, I wasted a lot of film really. I think I have been quite narcissistic to begin with. But a mental disorder? Give me a break. I've never tried to kill myself over a silly picture nor did anyone else any harm. I take a picture not because I want people to LIKE my photos or seek approval. I collect these shots so I can have references. It's like a photo diary. After more than a decade, I have a good collection of photos that show the many changes of my face. Such as where little wrinkles have slowly surfaced, how my eyebrows changed over time, and even how my teeth seem to be moving apart! This way, it's easier for me to maintain or change my looks because I have documentation per se.

Circa 2002! Remember the ever popular SONY Night Shot mode? Ahem. Paris Hilton? Tee hee.
Eenie Meenie Miny Mo! Pick one and don't post everything in one go!
This is not an obsession you know. Why? Because I don't flaunt them or POST EVERYTHING ONLINE! I save them on my hard drive... for my personal use. Now, here's what I don't get. I don't understand why some people post ALL THEIR SELFIES in one album and share them publicly. I mean, SERIOUSLY!!! And then there are some who send me messages asking me to "LIKE" their profile pic. What gives??? You know, I take a series of photos and pick one or two I like best and I upload that. I don't post EVERYTHING. If you are guilty for doing just that, forgive me, but I think that's just a bit too much, isn't it? Pick one and be done with it! Honestly, nobody needs to see the 360-degrees of your face. Going back, it is not OK to ask people to "LIKE" your picture, unless it's a contest and you need votes. I do that and I'm happy to support anyone who needs support as well. But liking to gain popularity or to seek approval? Tsk tsk tsk. There's something wrong with you.

Make love to the camera. LOL.
If anything, taking that many photos sort of saved my life back in 2010... OK, I wasn't dying or anything but I had a tumor. Remember that, guys? I was doing my thing, you know taking a bunch of photos when I noticed, while choosing THE ONE to upload, that my left cheek or side of the face was not proportioned to the right one. Obsessive-compulsive, much? No. I was just curious. So I tried to palpate this "bulging" area and found out that there was something in there. To make the long story short (though you can read all about it HERE if you care), I found a growing quail egg-sized tumor on my salivary gland.

You can read about my submandibular gland tumor HERE.
It was a benign tumor and had been growing for like two years and was still continuing to grow. There was only one thing left to do. GET IT OUT! If not for me taking selfies and camwhoring, then who knows? My neck incision would have been much bigger if the tumor continued to grow! See? Even the doctors were amazed at how I found the tumor out just by taking pictures of myself and pointing out the difference between my old photos and newer ones with a lump on my neck area. Take note: SELFIES weren't very popular back then. I guess the doctors probably think I was just really narcissistic or something to be taking so many photos of my own face.

Well, what can I say? You have to love yourself first... because that's how you attract people. In the words of Carrie Bradshaw, "But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous."


With the advent of smartphones, taking a picture of yourself is now a cinch. Hello, front-facing cameras! Right now, I have a favorite angle. I know just the right lighting to get that perfect shot (NO FLASH!) and even the exact facial expression needed to complete the mood of the selfie (NO DUCK FACE!). I don't take THAT many shots anymore. I take less than 10 shots and pick THE ONE to post. If I can't decide which, then I make a collage. I really don't get why some people post an ENTIRE album of their SELFIES. Come on guys... are you mental? I can't stress this enough... JUST PICK ONE OR MAKE A COLLAGE. You weren't lazy to take a bazillion photos of your face, so I'm pretty sure you can spare a minute or two to pick a few favorites and create a collage, right?


Here are some tips I'd like to share with you after taking selfies and camwhoring for more than a decade. I love selfies. I'm not gonna stop right now even if they link it to mental illness and the like because look at me, I didn't go insane after all these years, in fact, at one point it pretty much saved my life and significantly improved my portrait photography skills. Tee hee.


1. Selfies are really best taken outdoors. But if you're inside a room, just find a spot with good lighting, like near the window. Also, do you ever notice why there are so many car selfies? The car windows provide great lighting from all angles, that is why. Additionally, do not under any circumstances, take a photo with lighting that's right overhead (fluorescent light, bulbs, etc.) because that will give you dark circles under your eyes. :) If you can, look for a reflector or a white sheet/board and place it on your lap to bounce the light. I also do not suggest using the flash from camera phones. It just make your photos really nasty. Eek!


2. Never take a selfie that shows your double (triple?) chin if you have any or take a pic from below the chin unless you want the world to see the cobwebs up your nose. It's all about the angle and that's why you'll need to find yours.


3. Take a selfie from above if you want bigger eyes and slimmer jaws. For a more flattering angle, contour your face with makeup if you can.


4. When taking a side selfie in vain atempts to make your nose look slimmer, don't turn your face too much that your other eye looks funny with your eyeball half disappearing or sliding into the socket. That's just weird. Turn your head ever so slightly so you can still see both eyes from the side view. Yeah, that's more like it.


5. Don't worry so much about framing. Just make sure you're inside the shot because you can always crop your photo afterwards. Use the RULE OF THIRDS when cropping your photo for better composition.


6. Over and again, if you can't decide what #selfie to upload or post, then please create a collage. You can use 2 or more photos if you like. Flooding people's feeds with your selfies is a big no no! I probably should start un-friending people who still do this. Hmm...


7. Use photography apps to enhance your photos. There are FREE ones like Snapseed, Line Camera, Camera 360, and WonderCam. Don't get excited with filters because then your photo will look "edited". Go #nofilter if you can. You know that if something bad happens to you, people will use your profile pic and if you want to be found in case you get kidnapped or go missing, who's gonna find you if you look nothing like your photo???

http://www.bastaigatsikat.com/2013/07/my-top-15-paid-photography-apps.html

8. Use a tripod or monopod if you can to prevent blurring. Use a timer if it's available or a remote to press the shutter to avoid shaking the camera. Note: Did you know you can use your headphones volume button as a remote shutter?


9. Please ensure that your background is clean. The world doesn't need to see what a slob you are! Tee hee. There's just too many FAILED selfies out there. And if you do decide to take a mirror shot, please clean your mirror, too. Ahem. #OOTD #FOTD



10. Be comfortable. Forget anyone around who's watching you take a selfie. Show your killer smile and just have fun. Remember you should take a selfie for yourself, not for anyone else.


That's it! If I missed anything, check out this infographic below:


Now you're ready to take the perfect selfie... With all that's been said, just remember to SMILE. Because you never know who will fall in love with your smile. :)





TWITTER ★ http://twitter.com/bastaigat_sikat
FACEBOOK ★ http://facebook.com/bastaigatsikat
INSTAGRAM ★ http://instagram.com/bastaigat_sikat
PINTEREST ★ http://pinterest.com/mrsnoodleboy
YOUTUBE ★ http://youtube.com/mymaria
BLOG ★ http://www.bastaigatsikat.com

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Flickr Images