Amoebiasis: Pregnancy's Worst Nightmare

Saturday, June 04, 2011

Been searching all over the net since I was diagnosed with amoebiasis last night and I couldn't find much information about it especially when it happens during pregnancy. So I was wondering if this is really curable or not. I was fretting out already because I was pooping like mad beginning 8AM yesterday and it continued throughout the day until after dinner. So you can just imagine how utterly exhausted I was and my bones/joints/muscles were hurting like crazy. On top of that, I am already 28 weeks pregnant. My belly ain't getting any smaller and the baby was clearly stressed out because it was doing somersaults all over the place. I was even picturing the baby pulling and tugging my intestines because I can hear all kinds of bowel sounds.

Watch this short video of my belly when I woke up this morning... then look at the baby quiver(?); shake, rattle, and roll(?); or you can just stare at my protruding belly and watch the quakes. Try not to blink so you won't miss 'em!



I went to see my OBGYNE but she wasn't in yesterday so we decided to go to the emergency room at the OSPA-FMC hospital to seek advice if I could drink something for my LBM. As embarrassing as it sounds (and pretty funny nevertheless), I was amused at the thought of the saying which goes, "MAY ARAW KA RIN, MAKA IGIT KA UG GREEN!" LOL! At first, nobody suspected of me getting any kind of parasite (an amoeba most especially!) because I don't drink tap water, I'm not fond of street foods (save for the BBQ at the Food Park), and I'm pretty keen on washing my hands with antibacterial soap and using a hand sanitizer particularly when I found out I was with child! So I guess, you can never be too sure anymore.

My OBGYNE who came to see me at the ER when they called her said I should get a urinalysis and a stool exam to rule out any amoebiasis because there had been numerous cases of it lately. FYI: I really hate doing stool exams. It's gross. Yuck. But it had to be done. And I had to be put on I.V. dextrose and admitted last night just to get hydrated because I was beginning to look like a panda and my mouth was starting to get really dry. PLUS my belly was making these crazy contractions and you know, the worst thing that can happen to a pregnant woman is to get premature contractions because of amoebiasis! Pretty risky... and heck, I am so not ready to give birth yet!



It was unknown to any of us yet until the stool exam came back positive and then I started to freak out instead of feel better even though I was now lying at a hospital bed and getting the proper care and management for my condition. I couldn't find many very helpful information online regarding amoebiasis and pregnancy or any documentation of its treatment, cure, and medicines. I did read that children and pregnant women are more susceptible to this disease. Ayayay!

When the nurses gave me metronidazole, I wanted to make sure it won't harm my baby. Disregard nalang the fact that the medicine tastes so bitter. I think the reason why there's not a lot of information about amoebiasis online is because this mainly occurs in the tropics/subtropics and the medical field here isn't really that advanced compared to that of the northern hemisphere. Just my 2 cents. Anyway, what I understood from my doctor and reading online is that metronidazole (Flagyl) is under Class B and it's pretty safe to be taken by pregnant women who are on their 3rd trimester. Ain't I a lucky gal? So I have to take this medicine for a whole week, 3 x a day, coupled with isoxsuprine (Duvadilan) to keep the contractions at bay. Good luck to me!

Also I have to keep my diet tamed (no "queer" foods according to my doctor because she knows I have a very exotic palate) and since it was also found out that I am low on potassium and sodium, the best advice I was given today before I was discharged from the hospital was, "EAT YOUR JUNK FOODS." Tee hee! Best advice ever!!! Kaya lang, I don't eat salty foods! I hate Chippy and I don't even put salt on my sunny side-up (over easy) eggs during breakfast. I also need to eat bananas for potassium. Shucks. Do you realize how many calories there are in a single banana? Meh. ~_~



I guess there's more to being pregnant than meets the eye. I'm just glad I didn't have all those annoying pregnancy symptoms like vomiting, dizziness, sensitivity to smell, et cetera. Hoping and praying that everything will be alright in the coming months as I bring this precious little thing into this world.

Can you imagine me, a mom? ^_^ Whoa!

P.S. PART 2 of the AMOEBIASIS INCIDENT... click HERE!

xoxo,

post signature

You Might Also Like

6 comments

Instagram

Flickr Images