My Birthday 2008: To Give and Take

Saturday, April 19, 2008

I wasn't planning anything much for my birthday this year. I just wanted a small soiree with my Barks, you know, dinner and some poker after. I also planned on going to the DSWD Youth center and do a "feeding" (as what they call it here).

But then Mama asked me when she saw my new Luke Stedman's, "Dili ka ma guilty nga ang uban mga bata walay hapit tsinelas (Havaianas) and naa kay daghan?" (English: Aren't you guilty that you have so many Havaianas when some kids don't even have a pair of slippers?) And it got me thinking, she's right. Mothers are usually right. I still won't say always. But yeah, it's a fact that one pair of regular Havies can buy me dozens of ordinary slippers.

So I decided. Yeah I should bring the kids some slippers. And off we went.



This is the famous Jony's store in Ormoc City where people buy flip-flops since the day I was born... or at least this is where I went and bought my slippers back when I had no idea what in the world were HAVAIANAS!



I wonder what happens to you if you got slapped with this tsinelas.



HA HA HA!



Then we headed off to the Youth Center.



This is the place where street children can seek shelter and food, as well as the place where juvenile delinquents (yes, those RUGBY boys, snatchers, etc) are also locked up. They got 2 cells/rooms inside. One that is open for the scholars and other street kids, and the other room is padlocked for those who got pending cases.



It kind of reminds me of an economy class accommodation of a typical slow boat in the Philippines.

The kids are pretty organized and well-mannered.





These kids are scholars of DSWD and go to a public school in the city. All of them occupy just one room/cell. They sang "Happy birthday", too! (Click here for more pictures)

And these are the ones below that are being locked up.





And then they asked for our Friendsters!!! Yes, that's right. Initially, they wanted to see the pictures we took then someone suggested we should upload the pics to Friendster! HA HA HA! I nearly died laughing when I heard everybody's excited chatter about Friendster and one of them said, "Nindota na kaayo i-gawas diri oi para maka-open sa Friendster!" (English: "It would be so nice to get out of this place so I can open my Friendster!") CLASSIC!!! And so they asked for our email addresses... and we told them they should do good so they can get out and check their FRIENDSTERS! :)




We had a blast and I bet the kids have. All in all, I'd say it was a very good birthday celebration.

More pics in the album:
04/18 Giving & Taking: Flip-flops, youth, and the gift of life (Part 1)

⋆✌㋡⋆ 陳美西

You Might Also Like

1 comments

I'd love to hear your comments, suggestions, and violent reactions! I will do my best to reply to you as soon as I can. :)

Instagram

Flickr Images