Time for ReHav?

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Havaianas (pronounced ah-vai-YAH-nas) has become a household name for fashionistas and students alike. Gone were days of Spartan and Islander. I’m pretty sure that since Havaianas’ popularity grew here in the Philippines in 2004, perhaps a pair must exist in every home by now. But what is it really and what is so special about it?

It is claimed that the addictive nature of these flip flops is largely due to a 42‑year‑old secret rubber formula, which makes them butter-soft, bouncy, flexible, and durable. According to the manufacturer, the Zori (a Japanese style sandal) was the inspiration for the creation of the Havaianas sandal in 1962. In Brazil, where Havaianas originates, these are worn by all personalities from the average citizen to dignitaries and celebrities. Since being introduced to the United States, Havaianas have created an unprecedented cult following. Now referred to as the “best rubber sandal in the world,” Havaianas can be seen gracing the pages of the hottest fashion and sport magazines, strutting down the runways at New York Fashion Week and featured at red carpet events like the Oscars. Stylish Americans, including top athletes, rock stars, and celebrities demanded the butter-soft comfort of these inexpensive flip flops, making Havaianas available at the most chic retailers and surf boutiques.

However, here in the Philippines, it seems like a luxury to be able to buy a single pair of Tops, the simpliest and cheapest model of these flip flops. It was some time in 2006 when I bought my very first pair of Havaianas, just because everyone in my class back then was going gaga about them -- and then comes peer pressure. I believe it was priced almost 800 pesos for a metallic gold pair then and I promised myself I would not buy any more of these impractical things. Nevertheless, 2 years later, I was able to collect over 50 pairs already. Take note: These weren’t all priced the same. Some of the Havaianas I got were unreasonably priced at over 2000 pesos, and that’s exclusive of shipping costs; and most of the pairs I got were well over a thousand bucks. Why? Because they are, in fact, limited editions and “rare” pairs.

When people ask me why the craze? I simply say, it’s not about the Havaianas anymore, it’s the hunt. But right now, I think I need psychotherapy or rehabilitation. Ha ha! But wait, let me try to justify things first. I have won 2 very exclusive pairs of Havaianas for the past 2 years. You see, every summer, Havaianas Philippines holds a contest. In 2007, I was one of the 50 winners and received the exclusive Take Us To The Nearest Beach pair. Then again, this year I was among the lucky 70 people to receive the limited edition Flipping for the Beach pair. These are among the highlights of my so-called Havaianas addiction.

Among my prized possession now are my WonderWoman pairs, the Chisos from Japan, the Sayegusa (Tortoise & Hare), the Saks Fifth Avenue pairs, the glow in the dark pairs, and the Luke Stedman pairs (Tonight We Ride and Bones) to name some. Each pair has their own story to tell. Some of the pairs I got come straight from Brasil (yeah, it’s a lot cheaper there but imagine the freight charges!) and more than half of my collection I purchased online. Ahh, the art of Internet shopping. We have Ebay, Multiply, online stores of fellow Havaianaticos, et cetera. Think of the convenience -- no waiting in line at the cashier and no frustration of not having them your size! But alas, I can personally vouch that quality control is indeed a problem with these flip flops. I used to be a size 37/38 for a year, then came the new models and now I’m a size 35/36. No, my feet did not shrink. They’re still 9.25 inches.

I always look forward to an MYOH event. It’s the annual “Make Your Own Havaianas” experience. You get to mix and match colors of straps and soles, then put in pretty crystals and stylishly cute pins on them. Mind you, the lines get longer each year! Another unforgettable Havaianas event I attended was the Free Kick. You need to get a goal to win a prize. I got myself a Havaianas lanyard and water bottle after successfully scoring with my 3rd kick of the soccer ball. We also got our pictures taken with the hot Brazilian models. Tee hee.


Now back to the flip flops. What I really love about them is that they dry fast. Get them wet then just leave them at a corner, come back in a few minutes, and Voila! They’re dry as dust! Unfortunately, with every pro, there seems to be a con. As of to date, I know of 8 different people personally who managed to break their straps that now deem their Havaianas unusable. Tsk tsk tsk.

So, is that reason enough to stop this insanity? I’m not really sure. Is this the Imeldific Syndrome? I have yet to find the answers to that. To ReHav or not to ReHav? That is the question.


⋆✌㋡ღ⋆ 陳美西

Published Aug. 25-31, 2008. EV Mail.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. reHav if you must! :) I really enjoyed reading this post.

    I am one of those people who swore off ridiculously over-priced slippers but somehow managed to snag a cute rare pair. *shame, shame*

    oh but thanks for the enlightenment and may you have more reasons to support brazilian hotties. i do mean the slipper variety. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments, suggestions, and violent reactions! I will do my best to reply to you as soon as I can. :)

Instagram

Flickr Images