I Commit to Change: My Feelings About Children & My Dream of Photography Becoming A Reality

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

"I always thought kids hated me because I hated being around them." Or so I thought.

My bestfriend during my call center stint had a degree in Psychology. She and I shared that same feeling. And we both had one major thing in common. We were unica hijas. That being said, as an only child, she said it’s natural for me (and her) to feel that way. Heck, we both agreed that kids were monsters! I mean, they’re so cute and bubbly when they’re little and then they grow up to be crazy teenagers who will talk back to their parents and throw tantrums and maybe even become juvenile delinquents. Maybe it was my fear talking or I don’t know.

So I felt like the total opposite of my mom. She loves kids. She has been helping run this orphanage, the HAYAG Charitable Association-HAYAG Receiving and Child Caring Home, Inc., with her friends for almost 3 decades now.



My mom is a saint because she does a lot of charity work. And I’m very proud of her… go Ma!!! And some time back, she had a talk with me and for some reason, (for the first time actually) I listened to her! I know, I know… But I felt like I was growing up. I wanted to look at the world in a different perspective. I didn’t want it to revolve around me anymore. It was great that I had all the love and attention I could ever possibly need as I was growing up but it was bad enough that everyone kept watch over me, telling me what to do and what not to do, and everyone had so many expectations that drove me crazy. But that is another story.

And so I stepped out of my boundaries and reached out. It wasn’t for grades in school or for some kind of indulgence, but I just tried giving back the love that was showered upon me... in my own little ways… RANDOMLY.













And I thought kids hated me. I guess I was just looking at them the wrong way. Plus when kids smile… it’s totally PRICELE$$!

For so long, I never really understood that slogan, “Ang maling ginagawa ng matanda, nagiging tama sa mata ng bata.” Or I didn't give it much thought until recently. Now I understand that children don’t necessarily have to grow up and become social rejects. Kids need someone they can really look up to. I hope to become somebody like that (just like my mom!); if not now then maybe in the future.

Also, around that time when I realized that kids aren’t so bad after all, I watched  this movie called A LOT LIKE LOVE. All of you @aplusk fans out there must have seen this one back 5 years ago. I did and I’m this close to achieving my dream. Not Ashton Kutcher’s character’s dream of making it big on the Internet with an online business but Amanda Peet’s character’s dream of being a photographer. And not just a freelance photographer but a children’s photographer!



She inspired me to take up this hobby 3 years ago. (In the hopes of also finding Mr. Right in due time!) Hence, I bought a dSLR as the digital age dawned. In other words, no more film! Now I can afford photography!

And it’s happening… right here, right now. It’s about time I took it up a notch higher.

Presenting me… in action.



Whew! Kids these days looooove the camera… I hardly have any trouble with them and you have to agree with me that kids are really cute. ☺





And it’s not just the kids’ smiles that are priceless. A mom’s happiness is also another thing!



Well, I guess my New Year’s resolution this year didn’t go to waste after all! ^_^



Dreams do come true. ☺ But first, you have to do something about it! ;)



Check it out: http://www.ramenoodlesphotography.tk 

And here's a food for thought: “The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'.”

Have a grand week everyone!

P.S. If you feel inspired by this post... Please click LIKE for this note -- http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=143133955703599 -- you must be a FAN of I COMMIT TO CHANGE in Facebook to vote ;) Thank you so much!




post signature

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. so cool. got official photographer for birthday party somemore.. over the years i've never had a photographer on my big day =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew, a winning post man sad d ay ni sis :)) ming like ba ko sa imung entry? ehehe murag. ehehe congrats jud!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Your post inspires me. You really deserve the prize! I'll try to join too. Hope I'll be as fortunate as you. Blessings to you and all your endeavors!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your comments, suggestions, and violent reactions! I will do my best to reply to you as soon as I can. :)

Instagram

Flickr Images