My Top 3 Favorite Eye Brushes - Essential for all beginners and enthusiasts!

Tuesday, September 03, 2013

I've been playing a lot with makeup since the first quarter of this year and I have come to a conclusion that there are 3 essential eye brushes that are MUST HAVES for any makeup enthusiast (or beginner). I have to admit that eye makeup was very intimidating for me. It wasn't until I turned 30 that I really learned how to apply eyeshadow properly or managed to create decent smokey eyes.

I love how this dark smokey look brings out the color of my eyes.
You know, it's not really rocket science and anyone with a good quality makeup brush set is sure to get smoldering sexy eyes in no time (plus all the attention you want!). For me though, I can narrow it down to just 3 brushes to get the job done and I believe that every beginner out there like me needs to have these in their makeup kit. I bet every pro makeup artist also owns not just one but a couple of these awesome eye brushes, too.

Finally I know how to apply eyeshadows like a pro!
So with no further ado, here we go!

Let's start with the BLENDING BRUSH. I have both the MAC 217 (Php 1,300) and the SIGMA E25 (Php 700).

mac 217 vs sigma e25 review

If I only need one eye brush, this is it! A blending brush is the most versatile brush I know. You can use it to apply eyeshadow and blend colors effortlessly. You can really do your eye makeup with just this single brush! Now the main difference as you can see with the MAC and Sigma brushes is the length, with the latter being slightly longer. The weight is about the same, they both feel very solid and lightweight. It lets me create smokey eyes in less than 5 minutes, tops. The hair/bristles on my Sigma E25 are softer than my MAC 217. Both brushes have not shed (yet) after washing and using them numerous times.

mac 217 vs sigma e25 review

But I super, super love both brushes. I use them interchangeably. But the way I use it, I use one for dark smokey eyes and the other for light colors. Yeah, 'coz I am lazy don't have time to clean the brushes all the time. LOL. I just spot clean them and deep clean/condition them weekly or bi-weekly. These brushes dry quickly after washing though. Once again, if I were to pick just one favorite eye brush, hands down it's the blending brush!

mac 217 vs sigma e25 review
Can you tell which is which?
Up next is the EYE SHADING BRUSH. Two different brushes that perform equally well are the MAC 239 (Php 1,450) and the SIGMA E55 (Php 700).

mac 239 vs sigma e55 review

I use these brushes to pack colors on my eyelids. They both pick up powder wonderfully and evenly. I really don't know why some cosmetics companies include foam applicators with their eyeshadow palettes. I never learned to use those and always made a mess of my eye makeup when I tried them before.


Since the MAC 239 has white hair, I prefer to use the SIGMA E55 when I do a smokey eye look just because it has dark bristles. There's no real difference with which brush packs the most product because they both perform exactly alike in my experience. The E55 has a rounder form though so I tend to reach for it more now especially with experimenting looks that involve cutting creases.

mac 239 vs sigma e55 review

Last but not the least, the PENCIL BRUSH, aka Bullet Brush. I highly recommend the MAC 219 (Php 1,500) and/or the SIGMA E30 (Php 700). This is very essential for Asian eyes. I consider myself to have small eyes and I cannot be without this brush. SERIOUSLY. It's the perfect size and helps me work on my outer V with no trouble at all.

mac 219 vs sigma e30 review

The MAC 219 is more tapered (pointy at the end) which looks a bit sharp compared to the SIGMA E30. The 219 is awesome at applying eyeshadow at the outer V especially if you have small eyes as I stated earlier and it's great at smudging eyeliner, too. I also like to use this to cut crease. The E30 on the other hand is softer so it allows you to blend shadows at the outer crease easily as well as if you want to blur the color on the crease some.

mac 219 vs sigma e30 review

The bristles are very dense on the 219 but not so with the E30. These two perform great and serve different functions depending on what you need the brush for. I'd say get both and not just one so that you can see for yourself that each would definitely serve a particular and unique purpose.

mac 219 vs sigma e30 review

Overall, the Sigma brushes are at par with the MAC brushes in my experience. Prices stated above are such if you buy them locally from authorized sellers. I've been using the MAC ones longer since I bought them online last summer and the Sigma ones for about a month now which I also ordered through their website because it's much cheaper for me that way. So far I have not experienced any shedding with these 6 brushes whenever I wash them (on the spot or with deep cleansing). But I would just like to say that personally the Sigma brushes are wayyyyy cheaper and absolutely worth your money. But we'll have to wait and see in a few more months or years which ones hold fast the longest. I'll probably do a brush update report annually to keep track of my favorite brushes' performance and quality. I'll be writing about my other face brushes and then some.

Smoke gets in your eyes?
Now just like in photography when they say "it's not the arrow, it's the archer", the same goes for makeup. It really depends on how you apply it. But honestly, as with photography, if you have an awesome DSLR camera with a fast lens or an external flash, you definitely have a higher chance of capturing a kickass photo 80% to 90% of the time compared to a P&S camera. I'm not a pro but tell you what, creating a specific look and blending colors will be a breeze with the correct brushes. Also I don't really have to say this because you already know that PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT. And yes, come on, you should blend that shit. Tee hee.





TWITTER ★ http://twitter.com/mrsnoodleboy
FACEBOOK ★ http://facebook.com/bastaigatsikat
INSTAGRAM ★ http://instagram.com/mrsnoodleboy
PINTEREST ★ http://pinterest.com/mrsnoodleboy
BLOGS ★ http://www.bastaigatsikat.comhttp://www.mrsnoodleboy.com


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram

Flickr Images