Is it Soccer, Football, or Rugby?

Thursday, October 13, 2011

If you've been following my blog, you would notice that I hardly ever post anything sports-related. My friends used to kid me that I hate sports and ball games only because I see them as competition with my boyfriend's (now husband's) attention. They have a point really because I just don't really understand why a bunch of guys sometimes would seem to kill for the teams their rooting for, as in the case of the Brits who are die-hard fans of Manchester United. That's really beyond me. And honestly, I don't think I even want to try to understand why.

But hey, did you know that I played soccer back in college? Well, I don't have a photo to show you right now because it was only for a couple of months when I was still studying at the University of San Carlos back in '99. But you can ask some of the friends I have during my Pol Sci days. Come to think of it, I was as fit as a fiddle. If you are familiar with the Abellana Sports Complex in Cebu (yup, the one where they hold the annual Sinulog dance competition), that's the place where we go to train and run rounds for practice. I played Center Forward but I can't remember much of the actual games because I played in just 2 tournaments that year. And you know how it is with soccer, you hardly ever score.

Before all of that I used to be really confused about soccer versus football versus rugby. So to avoid confusion, I picture it this way:

GRIDIRON = AMERICAN FOOTBALL = NFL

Think high school quarterbacks or Brett Favre or Tom Brady.



RUGBY =  ASSOCIATION FOOTBALL = FIFA WORLD CUP  = SOCCER


Think Havaianas!

I know. I know. Okay, how about this?



WOot! Alright, fans, settle down. I don't really follow the Azkals but it seems like our countrymen lately have been going nuts about them and I see the team getting exposed a lot in the media. National pride? I have yet to sit and watch one of their games to know what the hype is all about. :) Forgive my ignorance.

I know some of my friends have seen the Azkals play live and they got nothing but amazing stories to tell. And then there are the friends I have who play FIFA on the PS3 and are extremely excited for the 2012 release. I wonder if there are any promotional coupons or maybe some discount vouchers I could obtain as I might secure a copy for SALA Lounge + Cafe since we have players who are avid fans of the sport.

Anyway, since I have a baby boy I guess I'll be attending a lot of games in the future as Noodle Boy is going to want him to be active and all. Or maybe the Little Mao would feel the same way as his mom when it comes to sports and prefer the arts instead. Oh well, we'll just have to wait and see.

xoxo,

post signature


Blog post courtesy of Alma who writes for a promotional coupon blog catering to World Soccer Shop and World Rubgy Shop. Check out the latest worldsoccershop gift code and world rugby shop discount codes.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your comments, suggestions, and violent reactions! I will do my best to reply to you as soon as I can. :)

Instagram

Flickr Images