Such a sad, sad day!

Thursday, October 06, 2011

I woke up today with a lot of things to do. Actually, I woke up to the sound of my dad's voice calling us for lunch and since our fan got busted while we were sleeping, it was pretty darn hot in the room although I could see the skies were pretty gloomy outside the window. Noodle Boy and I hurried downstairs and halfway through half-awake chewing, I listened to a news bit tuned on TV as a familiar name kept being mentioned. So I asked after swallowing hard a mouthful of juicy grilled tuna belly, "What's up with Steve Jobs?" He resigned from Apple 6 weeks ago, the iPhone 4S has been launched, so what could the commotion be about?

My dad spoke in a very matter-of-fact way, "Namatay na." (He's dead.) NO F*CKING WAY! I had to hold back my tears, rushed to finish my meal, and ran towards the nursery where my baby boy, the Little Mao, was waiting to be fed. As I was about to start breastfeeding, Noodle Boy handed me my iPhone saying, "I think you need this. Your idol has passed away." Good God! I still refused to believe it. I didn't know what he wanted me to do with the phone really and obviously, I wasn't prepared for the waves of tweets about Steve Jobs' death.

I took the iPhone, laid down beside Mikko to feed him, and launched HootSuite to read the news. Steve Jobs was ill, everybody knew that. I just didn't think he'd be gone this soon. Tweet after tweet, it was confirmed. Then the hot tears started streaming down my face. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME? I don't know the guy personally and we're not related. SO WHY THE F*CK AM I CRYING?!?!?

Noodle Boy wrote his condolence on my wall. That did it! I bawled like I lost a dear friend or an uncle. Mikko was oblivious of course as he was drifting to sleep but I was sobbing like a mad woman whose latest LV bag was just snatched.


I'm sad. Very, very sad. No amount of words can explain how sad I am... as sad as all the Mac evangelists and Apple fanboys and fangirls out there. I could hear the rain pour tremendously outside and I guess the skies were also pretty sad about the news today. Noodle Boy asked what we should do... Umm, apparently, saying a prayer is all there is. And yes, as a gesture of thanks and sign of respect to this great man, I said a prayer for Steve and turned off all my iDevices for an hour. Truly saddened by his death. :(


I asked Noodle Boy to play his guitar as we sang "LET IT BE" and "IMAGINE" by the Beatles. Truly a sad, sad day. It's dusk and I haven't done anything but read about Steve Jobs, cry some more, watch videos, and wonder if there will ever be another innovator like him. Ironic that Einstein died in 1955, the same year Jobs was born. So maybe this year, 2011, someone will be born to be this generation's genius, hero, entrepreneur, technologist and visionary, master inventor, master marketer, business magnate, rock star CEO, and so much more.


Still, WHY AM I SO FREAKIN' AFFECTED? We're not even remotely related! I don't know the man personally, I haven't seen him in real life, and he will never know who I am! This is crazy...!!!

But speaking of crazy, it was Steve Jobs who once said, "Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do.”



So what Steve Jobs really do to change my life? Well, he made me believe in crazy really. They say there's a fine line between genius and insanity, so I tend to entertain ideas that are really far-fetched and try to make something out of it. Creativity, in other words. Especially when using Apple products, like the Mac. There is simply no limit to what YOU can create it. (The evangelist in me speaks!) But I'm not going to convince anyone anymore. ALL my friends have seen what it did to me... and now they're all switching!

Thank you, Steve! Your legend will live on...

P.S. Tonight I'm going to watch the Pirates of Silicon Valley. In memory of my idol, Steve Jobs.

xoxo,

post signature

You Might Also Like

0 comments

I'd love to hear your comments, suggestions, and violent reactions! I will do my best to reply to you as soon as I can. :)

Instagram

Flickr Images